Monday, June 19, 2017
CQI Heart RR "E" Block is Done!
In April of 2014, I participated in a Heart Round Robin with 5 other members of the Crazy Quilting International (CQI) Group.
This year, I am participating in the All People Quilt UFO Challenge 2017. In May, project #2 was selected as the UFO for the month. Completeing my "LOVE" wall quilt with blocks from the Heart Round Robin was second on my list. This required embellishing the final block (my "E" block) and assembling the wall quilt.
The feather stitched seam pictured above was created with 2 strands of DMC S5200 snow white rayon floss. Cast on stitches created with a strand of size 8 red perle cotton were added to the tips of some of the feather stitches. Mill Hill Petite Glass Seed Beads #42010 were placed in the center of the cast on stitches to make small flowers. Onyx seed beads and detached chain stitches embellished the rest of the feather stitched seam.
For the next seam, Herringbone Stitches were added with a strand of EdMar Lola #206. Beneath the herringbone stitches, I added Mill Hill Petite Glass Seed Beads. #40161 beads were added to the red fabric and #42014 were added to the black fabric.
A Swarovski Elements 6mm butterfly bead (the color is light siam) was added to the black motif area. A strand of red DMC floss and a running stitch created a flight path with a little heart loop.
Using white silk ribbon I purchased for the free basic crazy quilting course I took from Kathy Shaw, I made evenly spaced French knots for flower buds.
A strand of metallic white DMC floss and double detached chain stitches (also called berry stitches), made leaves. I added a small straight stitch in the center of each leaf to fill in the black center. Red seed beads were placed between each flower (where the pins are seen in the photo above.)
My favorite addition to the block is the spider and spiderweb. Each feature a heart to fit the theme of this round robin. The web was created with straight stitches using DMC Fil Argent Silver Thread. The spider has a heart-shaped bead for the body and a bead for the head. Fly stitches added with a strand of white DMC floss created the legs.
Two heart-shaped beads added the final touch to the block.
Now that the "E" block is fully embellished, it is time to pull the basting seams from each block and assemble the wall quilt!
Thank you for stopping by!
1. Crazy Quilting International (CQI) is a group that focuses on hand embroidered crazy quilts. The group began on Yahoo! However, due to difficulties members had posting photos and updating round robin information through the Yahoo! groups, most of the active CQI members moved to the Facebook Crazy Quilt International Group. You may find the group here.
2. I have begun the daunting task of a bit of blog clean-up. Some of the links I have shared in the past go to websites that no longer exist, so I am deleting those. And, now that I am aware of Blogger's "nofollow" guidelines, I am making sure my links are all in compliance. Although, I always let readers know if I am affiliated with a product/company, I was not aware of adding the "rel=nofollow" attribute to those links. Several have already been changed. And, as I am not into blogging to earn money, I am no longer an Amazon Associate, so I am no longer affiliated with links shared to products on their site.
I am linking to Monday Stitchery Link Party #115 at Super Mom - No Cape! It looks like this week's free pattern is for a cute potholder.
1. My Heart Round Robin Bare Blocks - here
2. My Heart Round Robin Blocks are Home - here
3. My 2017 UFO Challenge List - here
4. Beaded Hedebo Stitched Seam - here
5. Ric Rac and Whipped Double Chain Stitch Seams - here
6. Floral Seam with Metallic Threads - here