Tuesday, June 6, 2017

"E" Block Progress


The "E" block from the Crazy Quilting International Heart Round Robin I participated in now has 3 seams embellished.

You may click on any photo for a larger view.

Last week, I shared the first seam. It was worked with TAST Stitch 81, the beaded hedebo stitch. 

If you follow my page on Facebook, you have already seen the next seam.


On Friday, I embellished a second seam, which was inspired by the work of Barbara Nicki Lee Seavey. She used different stitches for her flowers, but I copied the rest of the embellishements from her work.

The ric rac was attached with straight stitches using a strand of DMC metalic red floss. Red seed beads were attached beneath the ric rac. And the top of the ric rac was decorated with alternating clusters of 3 seed beads and flowers created with straight stitched stems, detached chain stitched leaves and a red seed bead flowers.

If you follow me on Instagram, you have already seen the third seam.


TAST Stitch 80: Whipped Double Chain Stitch

This was my first time working the Whipped Double Chain Stitch and I really love the way it turned out. 

I have no doubt I will be using this seam again in the future.

To keep my stitches even, I used waste canvas.

The double rows of chain stitches were created with size 8 white perle cotton.

My only concern when using waste canvas is that I cannot always see how well my stitches are lining up on the fabric. 

There was a slight gap between my chain stitched rows in the center section.

Luckily, the whipped thread covered that up!


I apologize for the photo quality. My cameras have a hard time focusing on the white threads for some reason.

This is how the seam looked after whipping a size 8 red perle cotton through the inside rows of chain stitches. I love how it looks!

TAST stands for Take a Stitch Tuesday. It is a personal stitching challenge to learn a new stitch each week and is hosted by Sharon B. of Pintangle. You may learn more about it here.

To celebrate 10 years of TAST, Sharon will be sharing interviews with TAST participants. The most recent interview was with Barbara B with Spiel mit Textil. You may read it here.

Related posts:

Heart Round Robin Bare Blocks - here
Heart Round Robin My Blocks are Home - here
Project 2 on my APQ 2017 UFO Challenge List - here
"E" Block First Seam - TAST Stitch 81 - here

Thank you for stopping by!
Renee

8 comments:

crazyQstitcher said...

I love your delightful ric-rac seam.

Anonymous said...

I am so glad to see the blog post on that instagram seam! I wasn't quite sure from the picture I saw and now that I see it in full, I do love it! How do you like using waste canvas?

Createology said...

Fabulous seam treatments here. I love the ric rac with beaded flowers. This combination of red, black and whiite is very dramatic and shows off nicely. Lovely...<3

sharonb said...

Great idea to use waste canvas - I am not so neat - I just wrinkle my nose and hope not to notice the wobbles next time I look

Queeniepatch said...

It makes me think of fancy bunting!

Katie said...

Looks fantastic.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

What a great idea to use waste canvas to get chain stitch rows lined up!! Brilliant! I really like the red & black colour scheme with the white stitching.

Renee said...

Sharon, I was just thinking I would like to try it freehand next time. With the wrapped thread, I think the wobbles would be less likely to be noticed. :)